Mini Beef Tacos With Citrus SalsaServes: 12 mini tacos
Time to prep: 30 to 40 minutes
2 beef Flat Iron Steaks (8 ounces each)
12 corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup chopped jicama
1/3 cup chopped orange
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup mashed avocado
1 tablespoon low-fat dairy sour cream
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Combine Citrus Salsa ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Combine Avocado Cream ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Combine Rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Transfer steaks to carving board.
- Meanwhile, cut 1 “mini tortilla” from each tortilla with 4-inch diameter cookie cutter. Discard tortilla scraps or save for another use. Lightly brush both sides of mini tortillas with oil. Grill over medium heat 1 to 3 minutes or until lightly crisp, turning once.
- Carve steaks lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Top each mini tortilla with equal amounts of avocado cream, beef slices and salsa. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tips
To pan-broil steaks, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Four-inch mini corn tortillas are occasionally available in Hispanic markets and some large supermarkets.
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff